What you can expect
The Breathing Assessment is the first step in working with The Breathe Clinic. Over the years, you pick up poor breathing habits that erode your health over time. A condition called chronic hidden hyperventilation develops when these poor breathing habits persist. This may manifest as various diseases depending on one’s genetic predisposition. More commonly, breathing dysfunction or hyperventilation is associated with asthma, hayfever, insomnia, snoring, sleep apnoea, chronic fatigue, anxiety and stress. Restoring healthy functional breathing helps correct this underlying breathing dysfunction and may help manage the associated symptoms. The first step to breathing retraining is to identify these habits. The second step is to bring awareness to our habits and thirdly we consciously change our habits.
The Breathing Assessment is a 30-minute session where you will:
- have time to discuss with me your condition and your concerns about your breathing and health
- discover where your breathing sits compared to healthy norms
- have a Capnography assessment to help in identifying, evaluating and learning breathing habits
- understand how your breathing habits contribute to your symptoms and the steps you can take to address hyperventilation
- breathe better, have more energy, sleep deeper and be calmer
- create a next step action plan to gain lasting improvement
The methods for assessment used at the clinic are both clinical observation and capnography to identify and poor breathing habits and evaluate breathing patterns. A capnograph is an instrument that measures the concentration of Carbon dioxide (CO2) in exhaled air and displays a numerical readout and waveform tracing. It helps evaluate breathing and detect poor breathing habits. Clients find it very helpful to get biofeedback and almost immediately see the effects of their breathing pattern on the graph. You walk away from this consultation with an understanding of how your breathing affects your symptoms and a plan on how to address this.